3/22/2015

SGD to AUD: It matters where you change

Singapore dollars to Australian Dollars


My recent trip to Perth, Western Australia was fruitful and an eye-opener. In fact, given its relatively short travelling time of 5 hours away from Singapore, I highly recommend a trip down for a vastly different experience. You would be able to experience a different culture, decent cuisine, wonderful scenery and the best part is that you need not travel obscene hours and transit a couple of flights to experience a western environment like Europe or USA. 

Here are some tips to take note when travelling in Perth:


Skip the immigration queue


I think one of the first things to note is that YES, YOU CAN PASS THROUGH THEIR SMARTGATE with your Singaporean biometric passport (See article). I saw quite a number of Singaporeans join the long immigration queue, but there is absolutely no necessity in that.

Culture shock as shops close early!


In Perth, if you are expecting 24 hours shopping or restaurants like Singapore, I am afraid you will be disappointed. In fact, shops close as early as 5pm and most restaurants start closing at 8pm. Anything later than 8pm you will have to head to Northbridge where most of the nightlife congregates.

Best place to change SGD to AUD


My experience on comparing rates and places to change from Singapore dollars to Australian dollars:
  • I changed at the ARCADE which offered me SGD1.074 for AUD$1
  • My neighborhood currency exchange was offering in a region of SGD1.2 for One Australian dollar 
  • The currency exchange in Perth had very unattractive rates as well
  • My spending on the credit card (OCBC) offered a rate of SGD1.103

If I had paid my accommodation of AUD2000 in cash instead of through my credit card, I would have saved $58!

Do make sure you change enough AUD at the good places in Singapore(My recommendation is at the Arcade in Raffles Place) as this is one currency you can see the savings if you make the effort.


Hope this was useful for you
EUFASS

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip. Also matters WHEN you change your australian dollars! It has dropped a fair bit since my days as a student.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ShoPs Dont close early in sydney.

    ReplyDelete