9/25/2014

How much ang pao money to give at Indian wedding

Indian Wedding Red packet money


Attending Indian weddings is not an everyday event for me, and I was pleasantly surprised to be invited by my colleague. While it was exciting to witness an Indian wedding, the natural question which I had previously for my friend's wedding in JB, as well as for my friend's Malay wedding, came into mind.

How much red packet money should i pack for an Indian wedding?

A little background: His event was held at Arena Country Club while food served was buffet style.

Seeking the answer


As usual, I poked my nose around and even asked the groom post-event. I came to understand that giving ang pao money for a wedding is primarily very much a Chinese custom. In Indian culture, the expectation of the wedding couple is to gather everyone for this joyous occasion, and typically no ang pao money will be expected.

However in Singapore, due to influence from Chinese counterparts or for some reason, friends and relatives do give a token sum to cover the cost of venue and food.

Eventually I went ahead with a red packet of $50 for the new couple. And as I always say, consider not only the cost but also the level of friendship you and the groom/bride share!

Some other notes

  • I was intrigued by the wedding rituals that the couple did and wondered what they signify. Guess what, my friend told me he did not know either. He just followed the instructions
  • I must say the food spread was awesome and delicious. I came to know that they catered from Riverwalk Tandoori. 10/10 would recommend.


Hope this was useful for you
EUFASS

1 comment:

  1. Thanks. I think that $50-$100 red packet for an Indian wedding is good

    ReplyDelete