8/11/2015

Bangalore taxi review: from airport to hotel, within city, from hotel to airport

Bangalore taxi review



Even though my trip to Bangalore was a short one, I took quite a number of taxis to different destinations. There are quite a few choices, and my feedback on my experience with them is below.

Mega cab: 
Good: Took this cab from airport to my hotel. Ride is smooth and good service (driver checks in to make sure you are comfy). 
Bad: However he took me to the wrong citadine (he heard citadel). I learnt that in India, always state the area you are going to, and name some landmarks. Confirm that the driver knows where he is going.

Verdict: Took me 45mins- 1hr to reach mu hotel, cost me 830 rupees + 120 rupees toll charge. Will still go with mega again, as it is most straightforward to take from the airport. 

Tuktuks
Good: Cheap, versatile
Bad: You will feel vulnerable; not for the faint-hearted.

Verdict: Best for short distance travel: 1-2km. Walking is possible, but the roads of Bengaluru are often tough. Its quite an experience trying to cross the road and navigate the broken, narrow sidewalks - also quite an experience taking a tuktuk!

Uber
Good: Took UberX around the city. Reliable,  comfy ride. Easy to hail with app. Transaction is automatically charged to your credit card.
Bad: I guess you have to ensure google maps bring you to the right place, because for more of the less touristy places, chances are it doesn't. Confirm with the party you are meeting what landmarks are near his place.

Verdict:
Really grateful theres uber. It would have been a hassle to direct the driver where I want to go. Uber drivers use GPS and hence. Price is very reasonable too!


Meru cab
Took this guy to the airport, I would have gone with an uber if not for the hotel guy who kindly volunteered to get a cab for me.
Good: This guy observes the speed limit. Even at times when he doesnt, the machine will prompt him to slow down. Reasonable comfort and price. 
Bad: Not the luxurious and comfy airport transfer ride you are expecting. *Swanky SUV with JW Marriott logo zooms past from my left as i'm writing this*

Verdict:
It took me 45 mins to reach the airport, cost me 920 rupees, including toll charges. I would not specifically request to take a meru, but wont mind to hop onto one if one happens to be around. 

Ola cab
The India version of uber. The hotel guy tried to call for one, but response is too slow and process too cumbersome. I'll go with uber for their responsiveness on their apps.

Other interesting tips:

Enjoy the scenery of cows hanging out on the roadside :)

Hope this is useful for you!
EUFASS


Read about my taxi ride to the hotel after landing at Bangalore at night here.

No comments:

Post a Comment