7/09/2012

List of bank abbreviations in Singapore

Acronyms for Singapore Banks


My friend asked me today - What does D in DBS stand for? For a moment, I was stunned..
'Hmm Domestic? ' But that doesn't sound right. Fortunately I recalled a story on Singapore's history and figured out the D stands for Development.

This thus spurred my inspiration to come up with a post to list down all the acronyms of some of the more common banks in Singapore and what they stand for.

DBS - Development Bank of Singapore
HSBC - Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation
OCBC - Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation
OUB - Overseas Union Bank
POSB - Post Office Savings Bank
SCB - Standard Chartered Bank
UOB - United Overseas Bank

As a Singaporean, you should also know that we have three made-in-singapore banks listed on the local stock exchange - DBS, OCBC and UOB.

[More to add to the list? Feel free to add in the comments section]

No comments:

Post a Comment